It wasn't necessarily the making of 252 squares that was so painful (although certainly monotonous); it was all the sewing that killed me, with about 2-3 loose stands per square! Eventually, I developed a process of crocheting a small mountain of squares in each color, storing them in ziploc bags, and then sewing together a few rows until I ran out of squares. Rinse and repeat. Or in my case, not.
However, in light of a potential move if K gets a job out of state, I went into full production mode last week to finally get this thing out the door. K was so impressed by the final result that he asked for a Metroid version. Hah! Sorry, honey, don't love you that much... (j/k)
If for some reason you wish to replicate this, check out my Ravelry page for pattern details. Personally, I'd stick with quilting for this kind of job. >_<
Update: picture of the 2-month-old recipient and his sleepy older brother